Friday, May 27, 2011

What the Future Holds

I've been doing a lot of thinking about the future lately. After I got done with the cruise ship gig, my goal was to secure a full-time job and start making lots of money. It was time for me to grow up and start living the American Dream. I was applying for anything and everything that looked like a great career option. It wasn't until I went on a job shadow with a business-to-business sales company that I realized how truly miserable I would be if I got a full-time job that I wasn't really psyched about, and how much my climbing time would decrease. Since that experience, I realized that I had to make a choice that will affect the next few years of my life. Do I a) get a full-time job, make a lot of money, and just deal with not having much personal/climbing time, or do I b) have a part-time job, make enough money to support myself, and be able to go on climbing trips, and pretty much climb whenever I damn well please. After some heavy internal dialogue, I realized that there's no need to rush, and I need to enjoy my free time while I have it. Am I getting rich off of my job at a climbing gym? Absolutely not. But (when the Washington weather allows) I get to climb more than I ever have, and I'm having a blast with the way my life is currently going! Why mess with something that makes you happy? Money isn't worth it if you're miserable, period. Climbing is such an important part of my life, and at this point I'm really not willing to sacrifice it at all. So, do what makes you happy in life. Obvious advice, I know. But when you think about it, how many people do you know that are in a position that makes them unhappy that they could fix at least relatively easily? The day something stops being enjoyable is the day you should stop doing it.
On a lighter note, Brian's gonna update the blog on the last few weeks, so stay tuned! And I am a recovering youtube addict, but unfortunately had a relapse this morning. However, I think this video is something the world should see, so I'll do my part in spreading it. Let hilarity ensue.



Stay psyched,

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment